AG Bell Auditory-Verbal Educator Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements For Scholarship
Through the support of legacy donors, AG Bell has established a professional scholarship to support certification of educators through the AG Bell Academy. The purpose of this scholarship is to assist one LSLS professional per year in fulfilling the requirements for certification as a Listening and Spoken Language Specialist (LSLS™) in Auditory-Verbal Education (LSLS Cert. AVEd). Funds will be used to support the recipient’s qualification and examination through the AG Bell Academy and to enable the recipient to fulfill requirements such as mentoring and continuing education credits. This scholarship is available to LSLS professionals who are nearing their final year of mentoring and who are likely to qualify to take the certification examination through the AG Bell Academy.
To be eligible for the AG Bell Auditory-Verbal Educator Scholarship, applicants must be able to present qualifications that would show their progress toward certification and likely eligibility to take the certification examination within 12 to 18 months of receiving the scholarship. The application for the scholarship mirrors many of the requirements that will be necessary to qualify for the certification exam and provides a guideline for fulfillment.
Working With An LSLS Mentor
Professionals seeking LSLS certification must be mentored by a certified LSLS professional for at least three (3) years; three years is defined as 36 consecutive months. Ideally, each professional seeking LSLS certification will be mentored by another Cert. LSLS. For details on mentoring, please see the website at: Certification Handbook
Qualified applicants for the AVEd Scholarship should have completed the first 24 months of mentoring prior to receiving the award.
Any questions regarding qualifications or other special circumstances should be addressed to Academy staff at 202-204-4700 or [email protected]
Completed applications for the AVEd Scholarship include the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (current name, contact information, educational degrees, certifications/credentials, and licenses must be included)
- Written Essay which includes an explanation of your professional background, your reason for choosing to work with children who are deaf and hard of hearing, how you would use the scholarship if awarded, and what impact you hope to have on the children and families with whom you work as an LSLS Cert AVEd professional.
- Written attestation from your LSLS Mentor that you are or will soon be entering your third or final year of mentoring.
- Written description from your LSLS Mentor of your current skills. The written attestation and description may be provided as one document. A completed F-1 form does not serve as a written description or recommendation.
- A signed copy of the “Commitment to the Principles of Auditory-Verbal Education.”
- Copies of up-to-date and signed forms E, F-1 and F-2 for your first two years of mentoring.
Instructions For Completing the Application Form
Application Period for 2018 is Now Closed.
Any questions concerning the application procedures should be directed to:
AG Bell Academy for Listening and Spoken Language
Email: [email protected]