We at the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (AG Bell) want this site to be a safe and private place for users. AG Bell has created a Listening and Spoken Language Knowledge center, a global resource for children and adults with hearing loss and the professionals that support them. Content on this website is available to the public; however, specific member-only content is available to those who join the association. In turn, you can do your part by reading this policy and taking the steps outlined below.
There are certain actions and areas of the site that will require you to provide personal information, such as:
- Becoming a member of AG Bell.
- Sending an e-mail question.
- Making a donation.
Personal Information You Choose to Provide
In order to gain access to certain areas of our site, you may choose to provide information. If you do submit information to us, we will use that information for the purposes for which it was submitted. We may also use your information in other ways, such as to contact you about other AG Bell activities and/or fundraising campaigns or as otherwise disclosed to you at the point of collection, and we may share your information with other like-minded organizations for similar purposes. For example:
- If you join our e-mail list, we will have a record of your e-mail address and all other information you choose to provide. We may contact you by e-mail about a broad range of AG Bell activities. You will be able to opt out of any communications that you do not wish to receive.
- If you make an online donation to the AG Bell or purchase a product, your information will be added to our donor list and database, and you will be contacted about other AG Bell activities, news, and/or fundraising campaigns.
- If you become a member of AG Bell, you will receive informational updates and action alerts about the advocacy efforts. You will also be added to the AG Bell’s donor list and database and will receive fundraising campaign communications and news from AG Bell. Our AG Bell network is primarily an electronic network, and therefore we need an e-mail address to contact you if we have trouble processing an order or donation. We also need your full postal address in order for our systems to match your name to your address and correctly attribute all of the donations you receive on behalf of AG Bell.
We will receive any other information you choose to provide, such as optional information or "personal stories" you submit. By submitting the story to us, you give us permission to edit and use it in other print and online materials appropriate settings designed to illustrate the importance of bringing information and hope to all who are touched by hearing loss. To protect your privacy, please do not include any identifying information in your "personal story."
You should be aware that we use third-party vendors to provide services on this site and in our business operations. The information that you submit on this site may be provided to those vendors on a confidential basis so that those vendors can provide services (such as maintaining our database, sending e-mail messages, facilitating our fundraising activities and campaigns, or processing credit card transactions) on our behalf. If you do not want your contact information shared with third-party vendors, please send an email to [email protected].
Financial Information You Choose to Provide
If you choose to make an online donation to the AG Bell, you will have to provide your credit card billing information. As this information is collected and transferred over the Internet to our secure server, it is encrypted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology, the industry standard security technology that is designed to protect sensitive information. Our donation pages display the Authorize.Net Site Seal to assure you that our website is authentic and that all transactions are secured by SSL encryption. If you are making a donation, the credit card information that you provide at the time of donation is used only to process your donation and will not be used for any other purposes.
Information Automatically Collected and Stored
As is true of most websites you enter, we automatically collect and store some information about your computer and your visit and store it in log files. This information includes information such as your computer's (or your ISP's) Internet Protocol (IP) address (this is not your e-mail address); the domain from which you access the Internet (e.g., "AOL.com" or "Princeton.edu"); the name, version, and specifications of your computer and your computer's operating system; the Internet address of the website, if any, from which you came to our site; the date and time you arrived at our site and how long you spent on the site; and which pages you visited.
We use this information to formulate statistics (possibly with the help of outside experts and analytics software) that show the number of visitors to the different sections of our site and to help us make our site more useful to visitors. For example, we use the browser information to help us design our website so that as many people as possible will be able to view the pages correctly. These statistics do not reveal personal information.
Your Help Is Needed
Although the AG Bell does its best to protect your privacy on our site, we need your help. You have control over your own privacy. Think carefully before providing any personal information.
Although this site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control, no e-mail or web transmission is completely secure against interception. If you are worried because your communication is very sensitive, do not send it via e-mail or submit it online.
You should be aware that in certain areas of this site we utilize personalization measures designed to make your site experience more enjoyable (i.e., personalized links in e-mail that allow data fields to be automatically populated with certain personal information). We need your help to protect the information embedded in these links. You should always keep your e-mail account information secure and not allow others to access your e-mail account.
A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your hard disk by a Web page server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a Web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you. AG Bell does set cookies in some capacities, i.e., if a user logs on as a member or if an e-commerce transaction takes place.
To remove cookies from your browser: 1) Open Internet Explorer or your chosen browser; 2) Go to the Tools Tab; 3) Click on the Internet Options button; 4) Click on the Privacy tab; 5) Select the level of cookies you wish to receive on your browser: high, medium, low; 6) Cookies already placed on your browser will not be removed.
Links to the AG Bell Website
AG Bell is happy to allow third-party Web sites to link to content on our Web site. However, the linking should not suggest that AG Bell sponsors, endorses or supports the third party ideas/beliefs/services. AG Bell’s content, logo or URL should not be used for any commercial purposes. If you are interested in linking to AG Bell, please email the web editor with your name, your organization name, contact information and the URL of your site.
By linking to any page on AG Bell’s Web site, you agree to follow the rules stated below:
- All links to AG Bell will be text-based – you do not have permission to use our logo unless you have written agreement from a management staff member.
- You may not create frames around specific AG Bell pages.
- You may not misrepresent your relationship with AG Bell or present false or misleading impressions about AG Bell.
- AG Bell has no responsibility and does not endorse any content appearing on your Web site.
Links on the AG Bell Website
AG Bell provides links to Web sites maintained by third parties over which AG Bell has no control. AG Bell does not support or endorse the content or products of these sites. AG Bell will not be responsible for any damage or loss caused by the use of content, products or services available through these sites.
This Web site is designed to be accessible to visitors with disabilities, and to comply with federal guidelines concerning accessibility. We welcome your comments. If you have suggestions on how to make the site more accessible, please contact us at [email protected].
How to Unsubscribe or Contact Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing about your Information:
- If you do not want to receive any e-mail from us in the future, send an e-mail message to [email protected] indicating that you would like to be removed from our electronic mailing list. Note that your donation and/or AG Bell records will remain in the AG Bell databases, but your e-mail address will be deactivated.
- If you wish to review the contact information we have on file for you, correct your contact information or provide a change of address, or inform us how you wish your contact information to be used, please contact [email protected]
You may contact the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing by mail, e-mail, telephone or fax as follows:
Mailing Address: 3417 Volta Place, NW, Washington, DC 20007
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 202-337-5220 or 866-337-5220 (toll free)