Preschool-Age Financial Aid Program
About the Program
The Preschool-age Financial Aid program is for families of preschool-age children who have been diagnosed with a moderately-severe to profound hearing loss and who are in pursuit of spoken language education for their child. Awards are intended to assist with expenses for things such as auditory support services, speech-language therapy, preschool tuition, etc. Families who apply should be committed to a listening and spoken language approach for the education of their child’s listening, speech and cognitive skills. Awards are made once a year, generally in the month of October. Award amounts vary; over the past three years, awards have ranged from $275 to $1,500.
This program is open for applications and has a deadline of August 5, 2016.
2016 Preschool-age Program Eligibility Criteria
In order to be eligible for this program, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- The child’s bilateral hearing loss or Auditory Neuropathy must have been diagnosed before the child’s fourth birthday. Children with unilateral (one-sided) hearing loss or unilateral Auditory Neuropathy do not qualify.
- The child’s hearing loss must be in the moderately-severe to profound range. This means that applicants must have an unaided Pure-Tone Average (PTA) of 55 dB or greater in the better hearing ear, in the speech frequencies of 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz. Children with cochlear implants meet this eligibility requirement. NOTE: This may not apply to children who have been diagnosed with AN. For information on required documentation for AN, please see the "documentation" section on the Application Submission Page of the application packet.
Formula for calculating the PTA: On the unaided audiogram, look at the results for the better hearing ear at 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz and add those four numbers together, then divide that total by four. The result is the Pure Tone Average. To be eligible for this award, the child’s PTA must be 55 dB or greater.
- Listening and Spoken Language must be the child’s primary mode of communication.
- The child must be at least four (4) years of age as of December 31, 2016 and must not yet be entering first grade for the 2016-2017 school year.
- The child (and parent/guardian) must reside in the United States, including territories, or in Canada.
- Parents/guardians should be able to clearly outline their need for financial assistance and plans for usage of grant funds.
Note: while membership in AG Bell is not required, preference may be given to AG Bell members.
2016 Preschool-Age Program Application– PDF (print and complete by hand)
2016 Preschool-Age Program Application– Writable PDF (complete on computer)
The mailing address to submit your application is:
AG Bell - Preschool-Age Financial Aid
3417 Volta Place, NW
Washington, D.C. 20007
Your application must be received by AG Bell no later than 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on August 5, 2016.
Administrative Processes & Notification
Once applications have been reviewed for eligibility and completeness, all eligible and complete applications will be submitted to the selection committee for consideration. Ineligible or incomplete applications will be discarded. Once the committee has made its decisions, email notices will be sent to all applicants as to whether their application has been approved for an award. All communications are conducted by e-mail so please be sure to include an e-mail address to receive correspondence.
Award checks will be mailed to all awardees to the postal address on their application approximately four weeks after notification.
Do You Have Questions?
Click here to see the most commonly asked questions about AG Bell's Financial Aid Programs. If you still have a question or need clarification, please send us an email. Responses may take several business days, so please plan accordingly when submitting your email.